.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

The Horn

February 6, 2005

Out of Ethiopia


The Good Shepherd Pendant
This is a letter I just received from Sister Mary James, a Good Shepherd Nun who has been on a mission to Ethiopia for several years (For backgound: Go to Archives, click on December and scroll down to 12/6/04) During my days with the Sisters of the Good Shepherd, I came to know Sister James very well. One of God's very special creatures, she was born to a life of humanitarian service. I have never felt closer to God than when than when I worked with this saintly person.
February 6, 2005
Dear Dr. Gabriele,
More than a month after you wrote it, I finally had a chance to read your letter to Osama bin Laden. It is a masterpiece. I can only hope and pray that he will see it - somehow - and that either his heart or his brain will be touched by it, and he may reverse his present course of action!
It has been pretty hectic here since my return to Ethiopia and now I will leave tomorrow for a meeting in Ireland. I will return in two weeks. It will also be a busy time, but I expect there will be a bit of Irish fun thrown in.
I know your navigating days are over, but I am sure you still have a great love for the sea. No doubt you heard the news reports about the Navy's USS San Francisco, a nuclear submarine which struck an ocean mountain causing the death of one sailor, injury to many others and severe damage to the submarine. My nephew Kevin Mooney, was the commander and bears responsibility for the accident. The Navy has an ongoing investigation, so Kevin cannot talk about it. But we are praying that he will be cleared of all charges. All of his adult life, he has wanted to have this job and worked so hard to achieve it. It is just one year since he took command of the submarine. Well, God's will be done.
My love to Lenore, Beryl and Tony
All of you have a special place in my prayers.
With love,
Sister Mary James
Beryl and Dr. Anthony Correoso, a Psychiatrist, worked with us at Madonna Heights in Huntington, New York. Beryl was our esteemed Director of Social Service. They now reside here in Heritage Hills.
Dear Sister James
We read your letter with great interest and concern.
May your respite in Ireland refresh you. From what I know about Ireland, fun has never been in short supply on the Emerald Isle. And knowing you as I do, I'm sure you will bring some of it back to Addis Ababa, where it is so desperately needed. If Eoghan Ryan, my telecom friend in Cork, can do so, I am sure he will find a way to brighten your holiday.
That naval accident was a truly tragic affair. But there is absolutely no doubt in my mind that your nephew will be fully exonerated of direct responsibility. And what has thus far emerged from the investigation leans entirely in that direction. Not to be overlooked is the remarkable seamanship Cmdr Mooney displayed in keeping his severely crippled vessel from foundering to the bottom and bringing it home without further loss or injury to his heroic crew.
Our prayers are with him and you
Love from all of us here to you, wherever and with whomever you are,
Dom Gabriele

1 Comments:

At 4:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Dom that letter from Sr. James was so interesting, especially the news of her relative Comdr. Mooney. With his courage and ability to bring home the vessel will surely be in his favor in an investigation. I am posting this since I do not have a Blog address. Ciao Tony Coreoso

 

Post a Comment

<< Home