.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

The Horn

January 31, 2006

Hail Alito !

Those imperious words were addressed to the Senate by Caesar, to describe his victory in a military campaign at the outer reaches of the Roman Empire. Never before, nor ever since has anyone summarized a major endeavor so eloquently and so succinctly.

I know Caesar well, and Alito is no Caesar! But Supreme Court Justice Samuel Alito is an impressive figure in his own right. Brilliant, learned and abundantly experienced, his judicious temperament and unbounded graciousness will find a rightful and useful place in our court.

Yet, there is an important historical parallel between these two men. Among Caesar’s self-declared detractors was a group of determined assassins. They stabbed Caesar repeatedly as he sat defenselessly in the Senate. Like Caesar, Alito too was attacked unmercifully as he sat in the Senate chamber. But his “assassins” were prominent senators, whose mindsets were gravely impaired by their rage and bias.

In all likelihood Samuel Alito will serve our nation with wisdom, fairness and honor, but each of his assailants has suffered an irretrievable loss of dignity and reputation. Bereft of courtesy, they shamelessly squandered the political equity with which they entered the chamber. The travesty they perpetrated on the senate floor will not soon be forgotten by Americans.

So Alito too, came and saw and conquered. And because no senator is likely ever again to descend to depths we now shudder to recall, we can all share in his triump

Comments: domgab85@aol.com
(E-mail me your comment and it will appear here)
I am writing this from purgatory. I deeply regretted murdering Caesar. Unable to go on, I took my own life. With his dying words "Et tu Brute" echoing in my head, I ran upon my sword. When I got here I discovered that my mother had been his lover and that I was Caesar’s bastard son. I am cursed for eternity ~ Brutus
Brutus, I dearly loved your mother as I did my own wife, Calpurnia. To me, you are no bastard. I forgive you. And know this, my love for you has never wavered. To Justice Samuel Alito, I say you acquitted yourself in the U.S. Senate like a true Roman. May your evil assailants, like mine, be scorched and cindered by the fires of hell ~ Caesar