.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

The Horn

February 10, 2008

Peekaboo, I see you!


Left click over image to enlarge it
then left click left arrow in the
upper left corner to return
On Monday, Feb 11, 2008, I am scheduled to have cataract surgery on my left eye. While the lenses of both my eyes have become befogged, the left is worse. My ophthalmologist, Dr. Michael Cohen, is no longer able to sharpen my diminishing vision with corrective lenses. So, while I must admit to being a little anxious about the surgery, I am looking forward to seeing better. Perhaps, with clearer vision, my pessimistic view of the world will become a tad rosier.

What follows is a letter from my primary care physician, Dr. Alphone Aversa. On 01/28/2008 he subjected me to a requisite pre-op examination and this is his report. (Interestingly, although we are generations apart in age, he and I served our medical residencies at the same hospital in Brooklyn, Kings County Hospital).

Dear Dom,

Your recent tests all look fine, with the exception of a slightly elevated glucose level and also a slightly elevated thyroid stimulating hormone level. No treatment is needed for either of these findings, but I do recommend a followup test for both in 6 months. Everything else was normal. Your cholesterol is outstanding.

Cholesterol 167; Triglycerides 93; HDL (Good Cholesterol) 69; LDL (Bad Cholesterol 80; and Cholesterol/HDL Ratio 2.4. All are well within normal range.

The complete blood count, urinanalysis and the rest of your chemistry were normal. Your stool specimen showed no sign of blood.

I wish you a speedy recovery.

Sincerely,
Al
Alphonse Aversa, MD, FACP