.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

The Horn

October 22, 2004

Assisted Living !

People who become increasingly infirm and dependent as they age, are sometimes compelled to enter an Assisted Living program. That is a semi-institutional kind of life where room-service, meals, wheel chairs and whatever, are provided.
Well, when I take a really candid look at myself, it becomes abundantly clear that I’ve been in Assisted Living for some time now. My tireless and infinitely benevolent provider has been and still is my wife, Lenore. She cleans the house, shops for food and necessities, takes out the garbage, makes the bed, does the laundry, cooks, brings me my pre-prandial drinks and whatever else I need or ask for. She even provides me her body warmth in bed. All I now do for myself is tap at my computer and surf the web. How deeply and irredeemably in debt I am to her!
As everyone already knows, we need only four letters to spell her name, L-O-V-E

2 Comments:

At 1:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dom - Your "Assisted Living" reminds me of myself caring for my wife Beryl, who, as you know, has advanced Parkinsonism. With some assistance from a health aide who comes here every day except weekends, I do my earnest best to help Beryl through her travail. Her disabilities are of major magnitude. Were our positions reversed, I know in my heart, she would do for me what I do for her. - Tony Correoso

 
At 10:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Papa, I have to say that it is wonderful having so many strong and loving women among our family to have as role models. Nan has raised 5 fabulous children, been such a big part of her 12 adoring grandchildren as well as 3 great grandchildren. I feel so fortunate to have 3 grandparents around me that have been such a big part of who I am today. I would be remiss if I didn't mention my other wonderful grandmother who is now in a nursing home. My grandmother, Erminia was such a big help to my mom for so many years as Paul and I were growing up. It was heartbreaking to watch my mom and dad struggle with the decision to finally bring her to the nursing home. But it was apparent that this was the best decision for everyone. To this day my mom goes to see my Grandmother 4 to 5 days each week. She is there to help feed her dinner, or maybe just a snack, and on Sunday's Ice Cream (Emily and TJ love to visit on Sundays!). Sometimes she may just bring her outside for a walk or sit and talk or just hold her hand. I watch the love that my mother has for my grandmother and see how the roles have changed over the years. I feel very blessed that these 3 wonderful women in my life have had such a profound impact on me, I can only hope that I have the same impact on my children. Nan, Mom and Nana I love you! Elaine

 

Post a Comment

<< Home