.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

The Horn

October 25, 2004

How I will vote ...

If you have more than a passing interest in how I will vote on Election Day, then please continue reading...
Although we live in one of the most advanced democracies on this planet, we are still light years away from enjoying the ultimate promise of democracy. How absurd it is that regardless of all the vital issues that affect us individually and collectively, one has to cast either a Republican, Democrat or tentatively Independent vote. To retain my voting integrity, I scrupulously avoid being pandered to and I will never allow myself to be mindlessly hostage to a particular party. At election time, I make every effort to select from the chaff, the single most important issue confronting our nation and I will vote for or against it regardless of how that vote may affect my other personal preferences.
Of transcendent importance to me now, is that we are under relentless physical attack by Islamic Jihadists. But Muslims feel that they too are under unceasing exploitation and predatory attack by us. For more than a thousand years this conflict between East and West has raged. Peaceful coexistence continues to elude us. And now, with weapons of mass destruction becoming universally available, the intensity of this conflict has risen exponentially. Without a serious and mutual effort to reconciliate, our drift into Armageddon, is inevitable.
And now to the vote: Lofted by unfathomable wealth and perversely misdirected by Senator Kennedy, a man often drawn to peripheral pathways, John F. Kerry has become a latter day Pied Piper. Carrying oversized knapsacks bulging with plans, his egotistical certitude preordains him to lure his followers and himself into the waters of Chappaquiddick. What totally eludes him is the tactical wisdom of our current efforts to inoculate Islam, a vast and restless community which has long been in a stage of arrested development, with a vibrantly democratic Afghanistan and Iraq.
But on the other hand, though he is neither a Messiah nor a Moses and by his own admission is not endowed with a scintillating intellect, Bush finds himself securely and energetically mounted on a foaming Trojan Horse. This fiery steed is carrying him and us onto a singular battlefield that actually has a burgeoning opportunity to reconcile Islam and the West. All that really needs doing, in order for everyone to be truly victorious, is to start freeing Islamic women from their bondage. Fate will do the rest. Ergo, my vote for Bush.
Footnote: Had I voted in 1864, I hope I was among those who cast their ballots for Lincoln and the continuance of his efforts to preserve the Union and abolish slavery. I cannot imagine I would have succumbed to the intensive support given to McClellan by the NY Times. Nominated by the Democratic Party, he was committed to negotiate an immediate peace with the South and allow it to retain its institution of slavery. In retrospect, utterly disastrous!

4 Comments:

At 12:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dom I am not aware of our being attacked by Jihadists I guess you are referring to 9/11.It is shameful that Bush is using this attacjk to justify his reelection or should I say reappointment. How can he say that Iraq is doind fine despite the horrible nes we get daily? I fear a Religious person who gets his messages directly from God? Allah etc.

 
At 1:36 PM, Blogger Dom Gabriele said...

Thank you for the above comment, but I wish you had identified yourself.

 
At 11:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dr. Dom....allow me to congratulate you on hosting such an interesting and, dare I say, thought-provoking blog site. What a great way to share thoughts and ideas and family news. I was unaware of its existence until today when I received a printed copy of your comments on RBK's case from Grace. Which leads me to also congratulate my brother on succesfully arguing the case before the NY Court of Appeals. As they say out here in the fly-over regions, "he's smart, hey?" Great work, counselor, and I hope the informed people of Shelter Island are all of the same mind in this matter; as I see it from a distance, you (RBK) would be the lightening rod for any show of discontent concerning the latest decision. And, of course, we all know how rational people can be. And I also want to congratulate my niece Megan on her promotion; evidently, she's become a repository for all the intelligence on both sides of the family....now, Dom....lol, as reluctant as I am to talk politics, I must say that I fail to grasp the correlation between the election of 1864 and 2004, other than the fact that the NYT could potentially back the loser in both. Comparing efforts at abolition to the invasion of Iraq seems to me to be...a stretch. I have many arguments with the current administration over a wide range of issues, including environmental, pharmaceutical, privacy, open-government, social issues, politicalization of scientific data and offices, church/state seperation...mmm, well, I could go on. You're right that the war is now of 'transcendent importance,' but I, like many others, believe it didn't have to be this way; that it is a huge blunder and is a waste of lives, money and energy when the perps of 9/11 still go free. If I had been president at the time, something I'm sure you're glad never happened, lol, I would have used more of an 'Israeli respsonse.' Find out who the perps are and go after them until every last one is dead or captured. And they were not in Iraq. If the administration had really wanted to fight terrorists in Iraq, it could have attacked Ansar Al-Salam, a group of former Russsian/Afghan war veterans-turned islamists/terrorists ensconced in the far north-east corner of Iraq. They were funded by Iran for the express purpose of destabilizing Kurdish authority in the region and were not averse to blowing up the occasional Turk and Western European. The administration certainly knew they were there and turned a blind eye because of the potential damage they might do to the Iraqi government. Alright, just a few thoughts to stir the pot. Brings back old times, lol. It's a great site, Dom, and I hope you and your better half are both well and happy. My love to all the 'familia.'
Jay Kenney

 
At 12:53 PM, Blogger Dom Gabriele said...

Jay,
Imagine! All it took was a simple blog to resurrect our relationship. As you have correctly divined, this blog is becoming an interesting and evocative sounding board for our family and friends. And to think, all it needed was a senescent patriarch to initiate this happy parade. <<>> It would take hours to respond to the various issues you raise in your provocative comment. But suffice it to say this: The Civil War began in April of 1861 and the Emancipation Proclamation was not issued until January of 1863. Lincoln’s primary concern was to preserve the Union, even if it needed a war to do so. But undoing slavery took a lot of preliminary political groundwork and he met much resistance from all sides before he issued his proclamation. <<>> Now, jumping quickly to current times, we cannot fail to see that we have already activated something profoundly parallel to freeing slaves. We are inducing a part of Islam to liberate its women! Now, let's jump to 2054. With the advantage from there of a retrospective view of 2004, would we see it as we see it today? Ah perspective, thou hast many hidden virtues! <<>> Jay, how about writing an Article to post in this blog? My fondest regards, Dom

 

Post a Comment

<< Home