.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

The Horn

April 4, 2005

Pax vobiscum

A Papal Symbol
I think Pope John Paul II is trying to tell us something, but nobody is really listening. I think he is trying to say, "Enough already! Enough with all this sprinkling of holy water on me and why isn't there any Polish Vodka in it? Put me in my crypt. I need rest. Send everybody home. Let them get back to what they were doing. They are tired. They have been through too much on my account."
There is a trace of a smile on his face. Perhaps he is amusing himself running a lot of his favorite stories through his mind. I’m sure he paid more than passing attention to those dark rumors that during the middle ages an occasional Borgia woman had gotten herself installed as pope. But then, the Middle Ages, like most ages before and since, always hummed with all kinds of embroidered fabrications.
There is no doubt, however, that Pope John Paul II would like his successor to embrace the watchwords of my Abruzzese ancestors, "Forte e gentile." There is much work to be done in the world and the Church needs a leader who will be strong but gentle. He is hoping too, that the Pope who will walk in his shoes will be divinely inspired and that he will unceasingly strive to bring peace and understanding to all nations.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home