.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

The Horn

March 30, 2006

God be praised!


Michelle, with Divine help, we got you safely aboard
While composing my post on Scalia, AOL cheerily announced, "You’ve got mail!" I invite you to read the letter I received.
What Ms Sinnott refers to, happened when I was working for both Church and State. While rendering psychiatric services at the Catholic Charities Institute, I also served as an Assistant Director at a NY State, Department of Mental Hygiene, After-Care Clinic, in Manhattan. Though I crossed that Church/State divide repeatedly, the Boston Herald never interviewed me about a possible conflict of interest. Too bad, I would have enjoyed using that traditional Sicilian gesture.
Dear Dr. Gabriele:
It’s a rare day when I get to goof off at my job but I am this afternoon. I too saw you on the cover of the suburban magazine, Journal News, last year and was truly delighted, but for a reason other than golf.
You were my psychiatrist at Catholic Charities Guidance Institute in Peekskill, NY. I was that overweight, withdrawn, lonely high school girl from Ossining. You were truly the first adult in my life who cared enough about me and took enough of an interest in me to help me get into college. You actually drove to Harriman Junior College to check it out. You helped me get a scholarship and off I went.
My previous high school grades were around the low 50’s (no kidding) but you saw a potential in me that I didn’t know I had. I graduated college with a BA in psychology, a minor in philosophy and history and a gpa of 3.9. Thank you!
As an update I have been working as an accountant for the past 25 yrs. and I am still grateful for my education. I did decide to drop the humanities and go with something more compatible with my ocd personality and I discovered how neat and exact numbers can really be.
I have been married for 25 yrs. and I have a 23 year old daughter (who has special needs). I live my life every day to try and be the best person I can be. I try to love and help and to comfort those in need. I guess I am just rambling but my point in this is that I think of you every once in awhile. I was delighted, as I said, to see your story last year but regrettably, I put off, whatever the reason, writing you.
I am glad you are well and I thank you for helping me.
Love,
Michelle (Carlson) Sinnott,
www.msinnott@rmcdev.com
Dear Michelle,
Many, many thanks for your heartfelt gratitude which you so eloquently expressed in your letter. But know this, my dear, whenever I do manage to help someone in need, I like to feel that I have been guided by God’s favorite angel, Archangel Gabriel.
Comments: www.domgab85@aol.com