.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

The Horn

May 1, 2006

Senilitas


Ectropion ~ I have it
Overview: (From website of St. Luke's Hospital, NY)
Patients with ectropion have a sagging lower eyelid that leaves the eye exposed and dry. It is caused by a lack of tone of the delicate muscles that hold the lid taut against the eye. Excessive tearing is common with ectropion, but wiping the tears away only causes the lid to sag more. Ectropion is most common among people over the age of 60.
Signs and Symptoms:
Irritation, burning, gritty sandy feeling, excessive tearing and a red, irritated eyelid.
Treatment:
The irritation can be temporarily relieved with artificial tears and ointments to lubricate the eye, however, surgery to tighten the lid is usually necessary to correct the problem. (The arrow points approximately to where the surgical "tuck" is taken in)
During my recent eye checkup, I prevailed upon Dr. Michael Cohen, Mount Kisco Medical Group's ophthalmologist, to perform a "system restore." Later this month, with his surgical skill and my waning recuperative reserve, we will endeavor to repair my dysfunctional eyelid. Closing note: Dr. Cohen's staff is quite impressive. One cannot help but notice that his receptionists, his aides and his assistants are an efficient, well-trained and exceptionally gracious group of people.
Comments:
Hi Dom, Sorry to learn of your Ectropion. I am sure your surgery will be uneventful. Michael Cohen is also my ophthalmologist and I am pleased with his efficiency and competence. Your blog is very educational to all who read it ~ Tony Correoso