.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

The Horn

December 10, 2008

Roasted Chestnuts


Good ole Google!
How did we ever manage
before you came onto the scene?

While at the A&P the other day, my attention was drawn to a great big basket, filled with freshly imported chestnuts. I purchased a pound and returned home as quickly as I could.

How to roast them? - I remembered that my mother used to make criss/cross cuts on the chestnut tops and she baked them. But at what temperature and for how long? I didn’t know. I called around and asked among friends and family. I got conflicting answers. Even my cookbooks failed me.

So . . . do what comes naturally these days, ask Google. Sure enough, that awesome program brought me quickly to how chestnuts should be nuked in the 21st century. Article after article described how to criss/cross cut them and cook 3 or 4 of them for about 30 seconds in the Microwave. For my wife and me, four chestnuts are ample, after they are cooked, shelled, sectioned and sprayed with pepper and salt.

Here’s to you Google, you never fail to bring warmth, goodness and enlightenment to this crotchety, grateful old nonagenarian.

And by the way, dear reader, “Google News” is in a class by itself. Culled from an endless and diverse plethora of sources, it will one day get everyone to become more informed and less biased. I’ve placed the Google News hyperlink on my blog’s opening page, for your convenience.

Comment: mailto:domgab1914@comcast.net

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home