.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

The Horn

January 9, 2009

Stay Connected


How good it can be . . . at Il Forno's
Though the sun shone brightly, today was frigid - 23 degrees and heading lower. But we needed groceries - so, we drove to the A&P. In anticipation of heavy snow, there were more shoppers than usual and the checkout lanes were clogged. But with all the milling about, it was really a good time to strike up conversations with fellow shoppers.

On our way home, we decided to dine at our favorite restaurant, Il Forno. When we were served our Chianti, I toasted a woman who was dining alone at a nearby table and she warmly reciprocated by raising her glass. While we munched on our pizza and drank our wine, we had occasion to exchange warm glances with other friendly diners at adjacent tables.

As we prepared to leave, the waitress advised me that our tab had been paid by another diner. What a delightful and heart throbbing surprise! I walked over to him, identified myself, and expressed our gratitude. In response to my curiosity, he said that he, his wife and his two daughters were simply pleased to notice that Lenore and I created a very warm impression upon them. At the next table to them, a diner identified himself as Gino and his wife as Ella. He too had gone to the cashier to pay my bill. In the conversation that ensued with him and his wife, a remarkable coincidence was uncovered. Like my mother, Gino’s parents were from Sicily and like my father, Ella’s had come from Abruzzi.

Isn’t it amazing how with such little effort, we can generate so much good will? We can do so simply by being open and friendly and it helps to be in the kind of congenial environment that Il Forno has so graciously cultivated. Unfortunately, however, when we are disinclined to break through our cocoon, we risk ambling through life in depressing solitude.

Comments: mailto:domgab1914@comcast.net
Hi Dommie ~ I loved your story about Il Forno. It just goes to show you that people inherently respond to pleasant sightings. You and Nan have a warmth and a love that radiates and people respond in kind. More people should do kind gestures like that. Believe me - it gives just as much pleasure to the giver as to the receiver. Good Stuff ~ Love, Chrissy
Dad ~ I loved this story on your blog about your dinner at Il Forno. I can almost envision you and Mom sitting there, and people observing the two of you, like a scene from a movie. You both are truly memorable ~ Loretta

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home