.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

The Horn

November 27, 2004

Family Portrait


From left to right - 1936
<:> My mother, Ninfa, was born in Caccamo, Sicily, 5/22/1895. She arrived here in 1898 when she was 3 years old. She had 3 brothers and 2 sisters. Her father, Giovanni Porto, traveled back and forth from Sicily, very frequently. I don’t recall that he ever had a regular job and yet he was always very prosperous. I suspect that he had more than just peripheral connections to the Mafia. On the other hand, my mother’s grandfather, Anthony Panseca, was a mounted carabiniere in Sicily. He distinguished himself many times by capturing and bringing to justice, lawless brigands who roamed in the mountains. I used to love to go through all of his medals and citations. So there, we balanced out the law.
My brother Alfred, born in NYC, 12/21/1916.
Queenie, our beloved family pet, about 8 years old in this picture.
My sister Mary, born in NYC, 7/24/1918.
Me. Like Hamlet, I’m brooding. Don’t ask me why.
<:> My father, Quintino, was born in Bagnoli, Abruzzi, 5/22/1885. He arrived here in 1907. His father was a pharmacist. Unbeknownst to him, my father used to make small bombs that he exploded in the town's local river. He gathered more fish that way than his family could possibly cook or devour. Later, in Rome, he became a skilled patternmaker and when he came here, his services were sought by nearly every dress manufacturer in the garment district of NYC. Check that straw hat! Every Sunday, he went over it with a toothbrush and lemon juice.

3 Comments:

At 11:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Papa,

I so enjoyed reading this! I'd love to hear more about your family. I don't really remember my Great-Grandfather but daddy always tells me that he used to call me chickonella...

I do remember my Great-Grandmother I can still picture her face. I remember that she used to have those sesame/honey candies...I still eat them today.
Elaine

 
At 3:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I looked at this picture I thought Russell was sitting on the step. He sure looks like you! I see a lot of Christine in this photo of Aunt Mary too.
Lorna

 
At 1:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great picture - How come everyone was so somber? The only one really smiling is Queenie!!!! It's amazing how Dom looks like Russell, Daniel looks like Alfred, Allen looks like Grandpa and I look like my mother. Good genes run strong. I'm still trying to figure who looks like Queenie. Please post some more pics - this is fun!

Love,

Chrissy

 

Post a Comment

<< Home