.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

The Horn

May 3, 2006

Aversa ~ RIP


May 3, 2006
Alphonse R. Aversa, MD
Mt Kisco Medical Group
90 South Bedford
Mt Kisco, NY 10549
Dear Al,
It was with great sadness that Lenore and I read your father’s obituary. We hasten to convey to you and your family, our heartfelt condolences.
My own father, who died many years ago also had a pharmaceutical background. He was the son of a pharmacist in a small town in Abruzzi. But unlike your father, mine had a mischievous streak in his system. Unbeknownst to his parents, he used to make small bombs in his father’s pharmacy. He loved exploding those bombs in the local river and when he did so, he never failed to bring home a rich harvest of fish. He also had a penchant for purloining fruit from the town priest’s orchard and he became the object of many a sermon, in and out of church. But eventually he met my mother here in New York and when they had me, he straightened out.
Interestingly, your father, who was 10 years my junior, served in the European Theater of Operations during World War II, at about the same time I was there. What a pity that our paths never crossed. But I’ll always be grateful that the fates arranged for my wife and me to meet you and be under your care.
Be assured, as has always been the case, your father continues to be in good hands.
Coraggio,
Dom and Lenore
Readers, please note: A funeral mass is scheduled to be held on Friday at 10:00 AM, at the Holy Innocents Church in Pleasantville, New York, where Rocco was a communicant and a Trustee.