.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

The Horn

May 21, 2006

Da Vinci's Leda Code

Leda and the Swan ~ her secret is bared
( I updated this post, which first appeared here in November 2004 )
Leda, spouse of King Tyndareus of ancient Sparta, bore him two mortal children, Castor and Clytemnestra. The latter grew up to become the wife of King Agamemnon, who commanded the Greek forces in the Trojan War. Upon his return from Troy, Clytemnestra, with the assistance of her lover, killed him while he was bathing. After Leda bore her first two children, her marital fidelity lapsed. She allowed Zeus, Lord of the Sky, to come to her in the guise of a Swan. And together, they produced two immortal babies, Pollux and Helen. The latter was later to figure in the Trojan War.
It is an established mythological fact that Helen, the most beautiful woman ever created, is immortal. She is the daughter of Zeus! But where and how does she spend her time? My guess is that she keeps incorporating herself into the persona of various women with whom she knows she can resonate. She could be reposing in Britney Spears or perhaps also in Hillary Clinton. Indeed, I have reason to suspect that she visits at my house and tarries happily with Lenore, my beloved wife. And now that the youthful and vivacious Dr. Barbara Fuchs has moved to Heritage Hills, this ubiquitous goddess may even decide to blend with her. (A preeminent educator, Barbara is now with the Putnam Valley School System. Google makes several extended references to her)
The first major painter to depict Leda with her lusting Swan was Leonardo Da Vinci. So awesomely beautiful was his painting, it was immediately purchased by a French aristocrat. But so disturbingly erotic was its effect upon him, his wife tore it from the wall and burned it. Although we can never know what Leonardo’s painting really looked like, Da Sesto did copy it just before it was sold. However, for this post, I chose the more sensual painting by Correggio (1531).
In our misguided efforts to keep mythological goddesses and gods out of our everyday lives, do we not deprive ourselves of a unique source of fascinating melodrama? Why must we settle for the banality of TV Soap Opera?
Comments: mailto:domgab85@aol.com
Dom, As you know, I am Zeus's wife, and as you are already aware, there isn't a woman my husband looks at that he doesn't try to copulate with. I remember the night well when he came home from visiting with Leda. He was covered with white feathers, and he refused to explain. I am the goddess of marriage and the protector of married women, but Zeus defeats me at every turn. Helen should never have happened. While I will keep trying to make Zeus stay home, don't expect too much. He's too much! ~ Hera, Queen of Gods
Dom, You surprised me when you described Zeus as being over-sexed and that he appeared to women in different guises. I thought you were about to blow my cover. I too live on mountains and like Zeus, I love hurling thunderbolts. I am unfindable when you search for me and I am indestructible. But why, you may ask, do I walk up and down these hills with such a tall walking stick? Who am I, really? ~ Osama