.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

The Horn

October 12, 2006

Why now?

This is a notice I just received in the mail!
Congratulations,
Domenic Gabriele: You have just been nominated by the National Adjutant for membership in The American Legion.
Enclosed, was a ready for framing "Certificate of Nomination" which stated: "Upon meeting the strict requirements set forth by the Congress of the United States, Domenic Gabriele shall thereby be accepted for official membership in The American Legion" Also included was a request for $20.00, to pay for my nomination to be properly reviewed and evaluated.
Some background: I entered the service as a medical officer on May 28, 1942 (64 years ago). Three months later I was on a convoy headed for England. Subsequently, after two years of building heavy bomber airfields in England, on D-day plus one, I drove my jeep "Quack’s Hack" up onto the blood drenched sands of Omaha Beach in Normandy. Then, after numerous battles and campaigns in France, Belgium, Holland and Germany, I returned home to the U.S.A. late in October of 1945. My military service was honorably concluded shortly afterwards. While I am pleased that The American Legion is at long last considering me for admission to its organization, if they opt to wait just a little while, they can have me posthumously.
So I will ignore their invitation and who knows, perhaps I’ll receive a similar offer from The French Foreign Legion. But now that my interest has indeed been aroused, what I would really like, is to be an honorary member of those ancient Roman Legions with which Julius Caesar subdued and civilized the barbarous, militant, tribes of Gaul.
Comment: Mail to:
domgab1914@comcast.net
Congratulations on your nomination. Too bad you missed the Roman Legions by the accident of your birth year. Have you considered opting for Osama's Legions? ~ Tony Correoso
While I would have other reasons to be disinclined to connect with Osama's Legions, being an infidel disqualifies me ~ Dom