.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

The Horn

October 28, 2006

Grrr !

If, like me, you are already deeply into this hi-tech age, then you will agree that one of the most disconcerting calamities that can befall us, is for our computers to crash.
Well, two weeks ago, it happened to me and I am still upset. Much of my most precious data, upon which I so heavily depended, has disappeared! Until now, I have happily served as my family’s data base. I had every birthday, anniversary, phone number, etc. But now, I am back on square one!
With computers, the keywords are backup and a hard drive with adequate space. But relying too heavily on backing up to your own hard drive, is a gilt-edged invitation to disaster. Reliance should now be placed on USB connected external media like flash drives or external hard drives with plenty of capacity. When I received my laptop from Dell, a couple of years ago, Encarta Encyclopedia and its dictionary were on only one CD. Now, Encarta 2007 is spread over five discs and it occupies more than 3 gigabytes of space on a hard drive.
In any case, I am very grateful to my son Tom for extricating me from techno-limbo. As a computer hack, he has no equal. In no time flat, he replaced my old hard drive with a new one of much greater capacity. But he had to deepfreeze the old one, before it begrudgingly yielded some of my lost data.
Following upon his suggestion, I searched in Google for a dependable backup program and I came up with Genie Backup Manager, Version 7. With it, you can Backup and Restore with great ease. Along with other intriguing options, it can also backup incrementally and schedule your backups to occur at times that suit you. Thank you, Tom ~ you’re the greatest!
Comments:
mailto:domgab1914@comcast.net
I just read your post, very interesting. I am new to blogging so I cannot understand how your main page was only posted today (that's how I read it) But you seem to have been going for a long time. Have you redone your "about me?" My own blog is an experiment to see what interest I can rouse. It's really only relevant to people in North Wales and the UK. It's very poor compared to yours. But it's really only a means to learning. I've had a website but I didn't really get very far with it. My blog is AmIabankrobber.blogspot.com ~ Mike Owen
Mike, I thank you for your complimentary comment. The first Post you see in The Horn is a sort of introductory guidepost. I change its date every day in order to keep it as the front page. I urge you to stay with your blog, it is a perfect medium to use as your personal diary ~ Dom Gabriele