.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

The Horn

August 27, 2008

Balance!


Spritely Balance
Left click on photo to enlarge it
Amazing! Incredible! What we see in the above photograph is a less than half-full can of Sprite resting delicately but securely on its narrowly beveled bottom edge.

It was today, while my son Fred and his family were visiting with Lenore and me (and we were all at the kitchen table) that my 13 year old grandson nonchalantly discovered an unusual way to stand the can. I venture to guess that none of Sprite’s designers and producers are aware that their can has this most improbable physical property and that it can be demonstrated so quickly and so surprisingly.

Now barely into puberty, Tyler has never ceased to impress everyone with his awesomely gifted and probing mind. He intuitively knows how nearly everything he looks at, works. Already, even the most difficult Sudokus unresistantly succumb to his problem solving genius. God willing, I am proudly confident that this youngster will have a super-productive rendezvous with destiny and that he will make many very significant contributions to our world’s way of life. Allow me to believe that perhaps one or two of his cerebral genes bear some remote kinship to my DNA.

Under separate cover, I will apprise Coca Cola that at least some of their soda cans be quickly and balletically balanced on a minuscule edge.
Comment: Mailto:domgab1914@comcast.net
This remarkable kitchen table feat brings to mind the story that’s told about Archimedes, the ancient Greek mathematician. He is quoted as having said, “Give me a proper fulcrum and a long and strong enough lever and I will lift our planet.” I am also recalling how Columbus showed the royal cynics of Spain how to stand an egg on its end. ~ Dom Gabriele
Hi Dom ~ I like the perspicacity of your grandson. He MUST have a little of your DNA ~ Paul Cipes

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home