.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

The Horn

November 19, 2006

Timex Mirabilis

Walking is a safe and beneficial exercise when done regularly and with more than a modicum of effort. But to be of significant value, the walk should take upwards of 30 minutes and if done on a slope, so much the better.
Here at Heritage Hills there are very few flat areas. The course my wife and I staked out takes us a half mile away from our home and the return trip completes a mile. But during that one mile the elevation we ascend (and descend) is about 100 feet. In effect, we climb up and down a 10 story building, a somewhat dramatic feat for oldsters of our advanced years.
Depending on my mood and vigor, I generally walk that course (even during bitterly cold winter days) two, three and sometimes even four times. We keep a daily record and we strive to reach a cumulative total of about 400 miles a year.
With the Timex watch illustrated above, I now keep lap times for each half mile. By doing so, it adds another dimension of interest and discipline to the workout. Indeed, it has made me aware that with each additional mile, my relative speed tends to increase. To me, that validates the healthful nature of the exercise. It would please us to know what you think.
Hi Granpa, You've encouraged me to keep better time of my walking. My neighbor and I walk a 3 mile stretch that may be a bit too flat. But we are now walking faster. We both thought the scales would begin to go down, but so far, they haven't. But we do like the way we feel and we will continue with our routine ~ Elaine
Your exercise will help you to stay fit, but to lose weight you must reduce the amount of food you consume. Try giving up lunch altogether ~ it's mostly a social occasion at best ~ Papa
Comment: mailto:domgab1914@comcast.net