.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

The Horn

October 12, 2008

One For The Ages!


How to deal with the de-cerebrating ravages of age and disease has become pressingly important for those of us who are elderly, especially since Alzheimer’s and similar dementias appear now to be increasing in incidence. We know we can never stop the withering process of entropy, but there are things I believe we can do to prolong our physical and cerebral effectiveness!

Physically, though I can no longer manage golf, I have no great difficulty briskly walking at least 2 miles a day on my community’s verdant hills. But to insure that my mind remains reassuringly active I spend considerable time on my computer. Keeping my blog interesting, informative and afloat is an ongoing and absorbing challenge. And now that my eye cataracts have been replaced by lenses with amazing clarity, I have happily resumed my bedside reading. But I almost never retire to bed without crossword and Sudoku puzzles.

And now for the Eureka! I usually do medium difficulty Sudokus, because I can complete them with minimal erasure and maximum enjoyment of the fascinating character of Sudoku. But I often wonder how programmers construct these puzzles. Though they probably start with 81 squares fully numbered, it has occurred to me that perhaps all they need do is enter a random series of numbers with no repetitions on a line or a column. Well, I just did exactly that on a blank Sudoku field, and guess what? The puzzle worked out to a perfect conclusion. So, chalk one up for focused cerebration and subtract one from misanthropic entropy!
Comments: mailto:domgab1914@comcast.net

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home